DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Even the best-behaved children can be difficult and challenging at times. But if your child or teen has a frequent and persistent pattern of anger, irritability, arguing, defiance or vindictiveness toward you and other authority figures, he or she may have oppositional defiant disorder (ODD).
As a parent, you don't have to go it alone in trying to manage a child with ODD. Doctors, counselors and child development experts can help.
Treatment of ODD involves therapy, training to help build positive family interactions and skills to manage behaviors, and possibly medications to treat related mental health conditions.
Feb. 06, 2015
- Oppositional defiant disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Nov. 20, 2014.
- Highlights of changes from DSM-IV-TR to DSM-5. American Psychiatric Publishing. http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Gabbard GO. Textbook of Psychotherapeutic Treatments. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2014. http://psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.books.9781585625048.gg40. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Hales RE, et al. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 6th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2014. http://www.psychiatryonline.org/resourceToc.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Facts for families: Children with oppositional defiant disorder. American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. http://www.aacap.org/aacap/Families_and_Youth/Facts_for_Families/Facts_for_Families_Pages/Children_With_Oppositional_Defiant_Disorder_72.aspx. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Oppositional defiant disorder guide. American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. http://www.aacap.org/aacap/Families_and_Youth/Resource_Centers/Oppositional_Defiant_Disorder_Resource_Center/Home.aspx. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Tervo RC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 16, 2014.
- Qaadir A (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 26, 2015.