Odontogenic cysts and tumors are relatively rare lesions that develop in the jawbone or the soft tissues in the mouth. "Odontogenic" means that these lesions originate from tissue related to tooth formation.
Odontogenic cysts and tumors can vary greatly in size and severity and the cause is not known. These lesions are usually noncancerous (benign), but they can be aggressive and invade the surrounding bone and tissue.
Treatment of odontogenic cysts and tumors generally involves surgical care but may include medical therapy for certain types of lesions.
Care at Mayo Clinic for odontogenic cysts and tumors
Dec. 12, 2015
- Shah JP, et al. Bone tumors and odontogenic lesions. In: Jatin Shah's Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier/Mosby; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 16, 2015.
- McClary AC, et al. Ameloblastoma: A clinical review and trends in management. European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00405-015-3631-8. Accessed Sept. 17, 2015.
- Menon S. Keratocystic odontogenic tumours: Etiology, pathogenesis and treatment revisited. Journal of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery. 2015;14:541.
- De Melo Pino LV, et al. Basal cell nevus syndrome: Clinical and molecular review and case report. International Journal of Dermatology. In press. Accessed Nov. 10, 2015.
- Barankin B, et al. Nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 16, 2015.
- de Souza JGO, et al. Treatment of odontogenic myxoma: A multidisciplinary approach — 6 year follow-up case. Case Reports in Dentistry. 2014. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/crid/2014/795808. Accessed Sept. 16, 2015.
- Manne RK, et al. Odontogenic myxoma of the mandible. Case Reports in Dentistry. 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2012/214704. Accessed Sept. 17, 2015.
- Pogrel AM. The diagnosis and management of giant cell lesions on the jaws. Annals of Maxillofacial Surgery. 2012;2:102.
- Sun L, et al. Multiple complex odontoma of the maxilla and the mandible. Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology. 2015;120:1.
- Abdul M, et al. Case report: Compound composite odontoma and its management. Case Reports in Dentistry. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/107089. Accessed Sept. 17, 2015.
- Gohel A, et al. Benign jaw lesions. Dental Clinics of North America. 2016;60:125.
- Fillmore J (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 10, 2015.
Odontogenic cysts and tumors