Personality disorders affect the way you think, behave and relate to others. Learn about symptoms and treatments.
Coping and support
Is your child dealing with a mental health condition? Recognize the warning signs.
Tests and diagnosis
A complete blood count can be used to evaluate your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Treatments and drugs
Cognitive behavioral therapy is one of the most common types of psychotherapy. It focuses on specific issues and goals to improve your life.
This treatment uses electrodes implanted in your brain to treat a number of neurological conditions, such as Parkinson's disease.
Psychotherapy is one way to treat many mental illnesses. See how therapy is used and which type may be best for you.
Transcranial magnetic stimulation is a form of brain stimulation, sometimes used when standard depression treatments haven't worked.
Aug. 09, 2013
- Golden, AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 4, 2013.
- Obsessive-compulsive and related disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Obsessive compulsive disorder. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.psychiatry.org/obsessive-compulsive-disorder. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=142546. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/psychiatric_disorders/anxiety_disorders/obsessive-compulsive_disorder_ocd.html?qt=obsessive-compulsive disorder&alt=sh. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- What is obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)? National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/index.shtml. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Simpson HB. Obsessive-compulsive disorder in adults: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, course, and diagnosis. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Mental health medications. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/mental-health-medications/complete-index.shtml. Accessed May 14, 2013.
- Managing anxiety. Anxiety and Depression Association of America. http://www.adaa.org/living-with-anxiety/managing-anxiety. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Biggs BK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 15, 2013.
- Whiteside SP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 16, 2013.
- Buss Preszler LK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 8, 2013.
- 2012-2013 Research report: Psychiatry and psychology. Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayo.edu/pmts/mc0700-mc0799/mc0710-11.pdf. Accessed July 22, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.