The cause of obsessive-compulsive disorder isn't fully understood. Main theories include:
Aug. 09, 2013
- Biology. OCD may be a result of changes in your body's own natural chemistry or brain functions. OCD may also have a genetic component, but specific genes have yet to be identified.
- Environment. Some environmental factors such as infections are suggested as a trigger for OCD, but more research is needed to be sure.
- Golden, AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 4, 2013.
- Obsessive-compulsive and related disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Obsessive compulsive disorder. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.psychiatry.org/obsessive-compulsive-disorder. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=142546. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/psychiatric_disorders/anxiety_disorders/obsessive-compulsive_disorder_ocd.html?qt=obsessive-compulsive disorder&alt=sh. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- What is obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)? National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/index.shtml. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Simpson HB. Obsessive-compulsive disorder in adults: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, course, and diagnosis. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Mental health medications. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/mental-health-medications/complete-index.shtml. Accessed May 14, 2013.
- Managing anxiety. Anxiety and Depression Association of America. http://www.adaa.org/living-with-anxiety/managing-anxiety. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Biggs BK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 15, 2013.
- Whiteside SP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 16, 2013.
- Buss Preszler LK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 8, 2013.
- 2012-2013 Research report: Psychiatry and psychology. Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayo.edu/pmts/mc0700-mc0799/mc0710-11.pdf. Accessed July 22, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.