Lifestyle and home remedies
Get the skinny on current dietary recommendations about which foods to choose and which to avoid.
Need menu inspiration? Get your creative juices flowing with these tasty recipes.
Give your diet a healthy kick with these Mediterranean recipes.
Added sugar often means unwanted calories. See how to identify and cut back on added sugar.
Think getting by on a few hours of sleep is no big deal? Think again.
Tests and diagnosis
Find out how a cholesterol test, sometimes called a lipid panel, is done, how to prepare and what the results mean.
Find out how this battery of blood tests helps your doctor diagnose and monitor liver disease.
Treatments and drugs
What are the risks and benefits of gastric bypass and other types of weight-loss surgery?
Have you ever wondered how gastric bypass and other weight-loss surgeries work? Check out this guide.
May 13, 2014
- Recognition of obesity as a disease. American Medical Association House of Delegates. http://www.ama-assn.org/assets/meeting/2013a/a13-addendum-refcomm-d.pdf. Accessed Nov. 4, 2013.
- Defining overweight and obesity. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/adult/defining.html. Accessed Dec. 3, 2013.
- Jensen MD, et al. 2013 AHA/ACC/TOS guideline for the management of overweight and obesity in adults. Circulation. In Press. http://content.onlinejacc.org/article.aspx?articleid=1770219. Accessed Nov. 17, 2013.
- Bray GA. Pathogenesis of obesity. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 16, 2013.
- What are overweight and obesity? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/obe/printall-index.html. Accessed Dec. 3, 2013.
- Bray GA. Etiology and natural history of obesity. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 16, 2013.
- Bray GA. Health hazards associated with obesity in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 16, 2013.
- Understanding adult overweight and obesity. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/understanding.htm. Accessed Nov. 16, 2013.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Nov. 16, 2013.
- Sacks F, et al. Comparison of weight-loss diets with different compositions of fat, protein, and carbohydrates. New England Journal of Medicine. 2009;360:859.
- Moyer VA, et al. Screening for and management of obesity in adults: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2012;157:373.
- Bray GA. Drug therapy of obesity. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 16, 2013.
- Blumberg RS, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Gastroenterology, Hepatology, & Endoscopy. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=55957514. Accessed November 16, 2013.
- Nelson DW, et al. Analysis of obesity-related outcomes and bariatric failure rates with the duodenal switch vs. gastric bypass for morbid obesity. Archives of Surgery. 2012;147:847.
- Weight loss and complementary health practices: What the science says. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/providers/digest/weightloss-science. Accessed Dec. 3, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.