Obesity is diagnosed when an individual's body mass index (BMI) is 30 or higher. Your body mass index is calculated by dividing your weight in kilograms (kg) by your height in meters (m) squared.
|18.5 — 24.9
|25.0 — 29.9
|30.0 and higher
|40.0 and higher
Because BMI doesn't directly measure body fat, some people, such as muscular athletes, may have a BMI in the obese category even though they don't have excess body fat.
When to see a doctor
If you think you may be obese, and especially if you're concerned about weight-related health problems, see your doctor or health care provider. You and your doctor can evaluate your health risks and discuss your weight-loss options. Even modest weight loss can lessen or prevent problems related to obesity. Weight loss is usually possible through dietary changes, increased physical activity and behavior changes. In some cases, prescription medications or weight-loss surgery may be options.
Jun. 07, 2013
- Defining overweight and obesity. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/defining.html. Accessed March 14, 2012.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0986-5..C2009-0-38984-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0986-5&about=true&uniqId=236797353-5. Accessed March 14, 2012.
- Bray GA. Etiology and natural history of obesity. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 14, 2012.
- Health care guideline: Prevention and management of obesity (mature adolescents and adults). Bloomington, Minn.: Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement. http://www.icsi.org/obesity/obesity_3398.html. Accessed Feb. 7, 2012.
- Understanding adult obesity. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://www.win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/understanding.htm. Accessed March 15, 2012.
- Bray GA. Overview of therapy for obesity in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 14, 2012.
- The practical guide: Identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/. Accessed March 15, 2012.
- Donnelly JE, et al. American College of Sports Medicine position stand: Appropriate physical activity intervention strategies for weight loss and prevention of weight regain for adults. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2009;41:459.
- Sacks F, et al. Comparison of weight-loss diets with different compositions of fat, protein, and carbohydrates. New England Journal of Medicine. 2009;360:859.
- Andrews RA, et al. Surgical management of severe obesity. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 14, 2012.
- Najm W, et al. Herbals used for diabetes, obesity, and metabolic syndrome. Primary Care. 2010;37:237.
- Cho SH, et al. Acupuncture for obesity: A systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal of Obesity. 2009;33:183.
- Completed safety review: Xenical/Alli (Orlistat) and severe liver injury. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/ucm213038.htm. Accessed Feb. 16, 2011.
- Sarwer DB, et al. A review of the relationships between extreme obesity, quality of life, and sexual function. Obesity Surgery. 2012;22:668.
- Bray GA. Health hazards associated with obesity in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 14, 2012.
- FDA expands use of banding system for weight loss. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm245617.htm. Accessed Feb. 7, 2012.
- Belviq (prescribing information). San Diego, Calif.: Arena Pharmaceuticals; 2012. http://invest.arenapharm.com. Accessed June 29, 2012.
- FDA approves Belviq to treat some overweight or obese adults. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm309993.htm. Accessed July 23, 2012.
- FDA approves weight-management drug Qsymia. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm312468.htm. Accessed July 18, 2012.
- Qsymia (prescribing information). Mountain View, Calif.: Vivus Inc.; 2012. http://www.vivus.com/products. Accessed July 18, 2012.
- Publication in Federal Register tomorrow moves Belviq (lorcaserin) closer to launch. Eisai, Inc. http://us.eisai.com/view_press_release.asp?ID=167&press=401. Accessed May 8, 2013.