Many people have astigmatism, an irregular curvature of the eye's surface that can cause blurred vision. Treatments include corrective lenses and laser surgery.
Echocardiogram allows your doctor to see your heart in motion. Here's what you need to know about the test.
An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test that provides valuable clues about your heart health. Here's what you need to know about the test.
Eye exam — Overview covers definition, what to expect and results of vision testing.
With farsightedness (hyperopia) you can see objects in the distance clearly, but objects nearby are blurry. It's easily corrected with eyeglasses or contact lenses.
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a genetic disorder in which heart muscle becomes abnormally thick. It's the most common cause of sudden cardiac death in young people.
Nearsightedness allows you to see objects near to you clearly, but objects farther away look blurry. It's easily corrected with eyeglasses or contact lenses.
Pulmonary valve stenosis is a narrowing of the valve that controls blood flow from your heart to your lungs. It's usually present at birth.
Swollen lymph nodes usually indicate an infection, particularly in children. However, there are many causes, ranging from the common cold to cancer.
Aug. 03, 2013
- Roberts AE, et al. Noonan syndrome. The Lancet. 2013;381:333.
- Chacko E, et al. Update on Turner and Noonan syndromes. Endocrinology Metabolism Clinics of North America. 2012;41:713.
- Noonan syndrome. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/noonan-syndrome. Accessed June 8, 2013.
- Learning about Noonan syndrome. National Human Genome Research Institute. http://www.genome.gov/pfv.cfm?pageID=25521674. Accessed June 8, 2013.
- Romano AA, et al. Noonan syndrome: Clinical features, diagnosis, and management guidelines. Pediatrics. 2010;126:745.
- Reye's syndrome information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/reyes_syndrome/reyes_syndrome.htm. Accessed June 8, 2013.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 27, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.