In many cases, there's no way to avoid the underlying conditions that cause nonallergic rhinitis. However, if you already have it, you can take steps to reduce your symptoms and prevent flare-ups:
Feb. 19, 2013
- Avoid your triggers. If you can identify things that cause or worsen your symptoms, avoiding them can make a big difference.
- Don't overuse nasal decongestants. Using these medications for more than a few days at a time can actually worsen your symptoms.
- Get treatment that works. If treatment isn't working, see your doctor. Your doctor can make changes that do a better job preventing or reducing your symptoms.
- Nonallergic rhinitis (vasomotor rhinitis). American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/conditions-dictionary/nonallergic-rhinitis-vasomotor.aspx. Accessed Nov. 20, 2012.
- Greiner AN, et al. Overview of the treatment of allergic rhinitis and nonallergic rhinopathy. Proceedings of the American Thoracic Society. 2011;8:121.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0986-5..C2009-0-38984-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0986-5&about=true&uniqId=236797353-5. Accessed Nov. 20, 2012.
- Primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM): Prevention and control. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/preventioan.html. Accessed Nov. 20, 2012.
- Kaliner MA. Nonallergic Rhinopathy (formerly known as vasomotor rhinitis). Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America. 2011;31:441.
- Schroer B, et al. Nonallergic rhinitis: Common problem, common symptoms. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 2012;79:285.
- Bernstein JA, et al. A randomized, double-blind, parallel trial comparing capsaicin nasal spray with placebo in subjects with a significant component of nonallergic rhinitis. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2011;107:171.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.