Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Unexplained weight loss: Symptom — Overview covers possible causes of unexplained weight loss.
Tests and diagnosis
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Find out how this battery of blood tests helps your doctor diagnose and monitor liver disease.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Find out what to expect during a needle biopsy.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Jan. 02, 2014
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). American College of Gastroenterology. http://patients.gi.org/topics/fatty-liver-disease-nafld. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/abouttheliver/info/nafld. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Chalasani N, et al. The diagnosis and management of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: Practice guideline by the American Gastroenterological Association, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases and American College of Gastroenterology. Gastroenterology. 2012;142:1592.
- Molloy JW, et al. Association of coffee and caffeine consumption with fatty liver disease, nonalcoholic steatohepatitis and degree of hepatic fibrosis. Hepatology. 2012;55:429.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 16, 2013.
- Ludwig J, et al. Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: Mayo Clinic experiences with a hitherto unnamed disease. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 1980;55:434
- Venkatesh SK, et al. Magnetic resonance elastography of liver: Technique, analysis and clinical applications. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2013;37:544.
- ACIP Adult Immunization Work Group. Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommended immunization schedule for adults aged 19 years and older — United States, 2013. MMWR. 2013;62:13. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/su6201a3.htm?s_cid=su6201a3_w. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.