Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Aug. 11, 2017
- Chalasani N, et al. The diagnosis and management of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: Practice guideline by the American Gastroenterological Association, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases and American College of Gastroenterology. Gastroenterology. 2012;142:1592.
- Feldman M, et al. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. In: Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 10, 2016.
- Rinella M. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: A systematic review. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2015;313:2263. http://jama.jamanetwork.com/ Accessed May 10, 2016.
- Spengler E, et al. Recommendations for diagnosis, referral for liver biopsy, and treatment of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(15)00510-8/abstract. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2015;90:1233. Accessed May 10, 2015.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2009.
- Venkatesh SK, et al. Magnetic resonance elastography of liver: Technique, analysis and clinical applications. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2013;37:544.
- Kim D, et al. Advanced fibrosis in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: Noninvasive assessment with MR elastography. Radiology. 2013;268:411.
- Sheth SG, et al. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: Natural history and management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 10, 2016.
- Boyer TD, et al. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. In: Zakim & Boyer's Hepatology: A Textbook of Liver Disease. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier, 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 10, 2015.
- Molloy JW, et al. Association of coffee and caffeine consumption with fatty liver disease, nonalcoholic steatohepatitis and degree of hepatic fibrosis. Hepatology. 2012;55:429.
- Malhi H, et al. Nonalcoholic fatty liver: Optimizing pretransplant selection and posttransplant care to maximize survival. Current Opinion in Organ Transplantation. 2016, 21:99.
- Heimbach J, et al. Combined liver transplantation and gastric sleeve resection for patients with medically complicated obesity and end-stage liver disease. American Journal of Transplantation. 2013; 13:363.
- Watt KD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Personal communication. July 7, 2016.
- Ludwig J, et al. Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: Mayo Clinic experiences with a hitherto unnamed disease. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 1980;55:434.
- Uppal V, et al. Pediatric non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Current Gastroenterology Reports. 2016;18:24.
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease