Sleep terrors are usually diagnosed by your doctor based on your description of the events. Your doctor may do a physical or psychological exam to identify conditions that may be contributing to the sleep terrors. If the diagnosis isn't clear or your doctor suspects sleep-disordered breathing, a sleep study may be recommended.
A sleep study (polysomnography) is a test used to diagnose underlying sleep disorders, such as obstructive sleep apnea, that may trigger sleep terrors. To participate in the polysomnography, you'll spend the night in a sleep lab.
During the test, sensors are placed on your head and body to record your brain waves, blood oxygen level, heart rate and breathing, as well as eye and leg movements. A video camera records your sleep. Your doctor will review the information to determine whether you or your child has a sleep disorder.
Aug. 12, 2014
- Sateia M. International Classification of Sleep Disorders. 3rd ed. Darien, Ill.: American Academy of Sleep Medicine; 2014. http://www.aasmnet.org/EBooks/ICSD3. Accessed May 20, 2014.
- Parasomnias. The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec16/ch215/ch215f.html. Accessed June 3, 2014.
- In-lab sleep study. American Academy of Sleep Medicine. http://www.sleepeducation.com/disease-management/in-lab-sleep-study/overview. Accessed May 30, 2014.
- Goldstein CA. Parasomonias. Disease-a-Month. 2011;57:364.
- Sleep-wake disorders. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Sleep-wake%20Disorders%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf. Accessed May 30, 2014.
- Carter KA, et al. Common sleep disorders in children. American Family Physician. 2014;89:368.
- Haupt M, et al. Just a scary dream? A brief review of sleep terrors, nightmares, and rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder. Pediatric Annals. 2013;42:211.
- Non-rapid eye movement sleep arousal disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed June 3, 2014.
- Silber MH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 23, 2014.
- Olson EJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 1, 2014.
- Kotagal S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 6, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.