Various factors can contribute to sleep terrors, such as:
- Sleep deprivation and extreme tiredness
- Fever (in children)
- Sleeping in unfamiliar surroundings
- Lights or noise
- An overfull bladder
Sleep terrors sometimes are associated with underlying conditions that affect sleep, such as:
Aug. 12, 2014
- Sleep-disordered breathing — a group of disorders characterized by abnormal breathing patterns during sleep, the most common of which is obstructive sleep apnea
- Restless legs syndrome
- Head injuries
- Some medications
- Sateia M. International Classification of Sleep Disorders. 3rd ed. Darien, Ill.: American Academy of Sleep Medicine; 2014. http://www.aasmnet.org/EBooks/ICSD3. Accessed May 20, 2014.
- Parasomnias. The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec16/ch215/ch215f.html. Accessed June 3, 2014.
- In-lab sleep study. American Academy of Sleep Medicine. http://www.sleepeducation.com/disease-management/in-lab-sleep-study/overview. Accessed May 30, 2014.
- Goldstein CA. Parasomonias. Disease-a-Month. 2011;57:364.
- Sleep-wake disorders. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Sleep-wake%20Disorders%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf. Accessed May 30, 2014.
- Carter KA, et al. Common sleep disorders in children. American Family Physician. 2014;89:368.
- Haupt M, et al. Just a scary dream? A brief review of sleep terrors, nightmares, and rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder. Pediatric Annals. 2013;42:211.
- Non-rapid eye movement sleep arousal disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed June 3, 2014.
- Silber MH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 23, 2014.
- Olson EJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 1, 2014.
- Kotagal S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 6, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.