ResearchBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Mayo Clinic researchers in neurology, neuroimmunology and other areas study causes, genetics, new diagnostic tests and treatments for neuromyelitis optica and related conditions.
Staff in the Center for Multiple Sclerosis and Autoimmune Neurology conducts research in neuromyelitis optica, multiple sclerosis and related conditions.
Mayo Clinic researchers discovered an antibody, NMO-IgG, which is a specific marker for NMO. Testing for this antibody can help diagnose NMO in an early stage and distinguish it from multiple sclerosis (MS) and other conditions.
Mayo Clinic publications
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on NMO on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Read an article about multiple sclerosis mimickers.
Sept. 19, 2015
- Pereira W, et al. Epidemiological, clinical, and immunological characteristics of neuromyelitis optica: A review. Journal of the Neurological Sciences. 2015;355:7.
- NINDS neuromyelitis optica information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/neuromyelitis_optica/neuromyelitis_optica.htm. Accessed Sept. 3, 2015.
- Wingerchuk DM, et al. International consensus diagnostic criteria for neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders. Neurology. 2015;85:177.
- Symptoms and diagnosis of NMO. National Multiple Sclerosis Society. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/What-is-MS/Related-Conditions/Neuromyelitis-Optica-(NMO)/Symptoms-and-Diagnosis. Accessed Sept. 3, 2015.
- Riggin EA. Enterprise Performance Management system. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 22, 2015.
- Network of pediatric MS centers. National Multiple Sclerosis Society. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/What-is-MS/Who-Gets-MS/Pediatric-MS/Care-for-Pediatric-MS-(Centers-of-Excellence). Accessed Sept. 3, 2015.
- Glisson CC. Neuromyelitis optica (NMO) and NMO spectrum disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 3, 2015.
- Matiello M, et al. Neuromyelitis optica. Current Opinion in Neurology. 2007;20:255.
- Riggin EA. Enterprise Performance Management system. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 3, 2015.
- Wingerchuk DM, et al. The spectrum of neuromyelitis optica. Lancet Neurology. 2007;6:805.