- Expertise and experience. Mayo Clinic doctors have experience evaluating and treating neurofibromatosis and other nervous system (neurological) conditions. The integrated team of specialists in the Neurofibromatosis Clinic at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota provides comprehensive care and support for you and your family.
- Teamwork. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in nervous system conditions (neurologists) may work with doctors trained in nerve surgery (neurosurgeons), skin conditions (dermatologists), hereditary conditions (medical geneticists), head and neck conditions (otorhinolaryngologists), eye conditions (ophthalmologists), musculoskeletal conditions and surgery (orthopedic surgeons), and other areas to evaluate and treat neurofibromatosis.
- Diagnostic tests. Doctors at Mayo Clinic perform physical examinations and may order genetic tests, imaging tests, vision tests, hearing tests or other tests to diagnose neurofibromatosis.
- Treatment. At Mayo Clinic, some people with neurofibromatosis may benefit from monitoring or surgery. People with neurofibromatosis type 2 may be treated with surgery, stereotactic radiosurgery, cochlear implants or an auditory brainstem implant.
- Research. Mayo Clinic doctors study genetics, causes, and new and improved treatments for people with neurofibromatosis.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks #1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery, and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Jan. 03, 2013
- Neurofibromatosis fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/neurofibromatosis/detail_neurofibromatosis.htm. Accessed Oct. 12, 2012.
- Torpy JM, et al. Neurofibromatosis. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2009;302:2170.
- Plon SE. Neurofibromatosis type 1 (von Recklinghausen's disease). http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Oct. 12, 2012.
- Evans DG. Neurofibromatosis type 2. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Oct. 12, 2012.
- Dashe JF, et al. Overview of schwannomatosis. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Oct. 12, 2012.
- Schwannomatosis. Neurofibromatosis Network. http://www.nfnetwork.org/understanding-nf/what-is-nf/schwannomatosis. Accessed Oct. 16, 2012.
- Ferner RE. The neurofibromatoses. Practical Neurology. 2010;10:82.
- Find a local chapter. Children's Tumor Foundation. http://www.ctf.org/Chapter-Resources/Find-a-Local-Chapter-or-Affiliate.html. Accessed Oct. 19, 2012.
- Local groups. Neurofibromatosis Network. http://www.nfnetwork.org/nf-community-near-you/local-groups. Accessed Oct. 19, 2012.
- Babovic-Vuksanovic D (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 26, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.