Edema — swelling caused by excess fluid in tissues — can affect any part of your body. Treating the underlying cause is key to resolving edema.
Tests and diagnosis
A kidney biopsy — removing a small piece of kidney tissue for viewing under a microscope — helps with diagnosis and treatment of kidney problems.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Jan. 11, 2012
- Nephrotic syndrome in adults. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/nephrotic/index.aspx. Accessed Dec. 15, 2011.
- Nachman PH, et al. Primary glomerular disease. In: Brenner BM. Brenner & Rector's The Kidney. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3105-5..X5001-4--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-3105-5&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Dec. 16, 2011.
- Childhood nephrotic syndrome. National Institute for Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/childkidneydiseases/nephrotic_syndrom/index.htm. Accessed Dec. 15, 2011.
- Kelepouris E, et al. Overview of heavy proteinuria and the nephrotic syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 16, 2011.
- Nephrotic syndrome. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2012: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..C2009-0-38601-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05611-3&uniqId=291436269-101. Accessed Dec. 15, 2011.
- Nephrotic syndrome. ADA Nutrition Care Manual. http://nutritioncaremanual.org/index.cfm. Accessed Dec. 15, 2011.
- Anderson CF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 17, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.