Preparing for your appointment

By Mayo Clinic Staff

While you may initially consult your family doctor about your neck pain, he or she may refer you to:

  • A rheumatologist, a doctor who specializes in arthritis and other diseases that affect the joints
  • A neurologist, a doctor who specializes in treating nerve-related disorders
  • An orthopedic surgeon, a doctor who operates on bones and joints

What you can do

Before your appointment, you may want to write a list that answers the following questions:

  • When did your symptoms begin?
  • Have you ever injured your neck? If so, when did the injury occur?
  • Do any particular neck movements make the pain improve or worsen?
  • What medications and supplements do you take regularly?

What to expect from your doctor

Your doctor may ask some of the following questions:

  • Where exactly does your pain occur?
  • Is the pain dull, sharp or shooting?
  • Do you have any numbness or weakness?
  • Does the pain radiate into your arm?
Sept. 11, 2012