Neck pain is a common complaint. Neck muscles can be strained from poor posture — whether it's leaning over your computer or hunching over your workbench. Osteoarthritis also is a common cause of neck pain.
Rarely, neck pain can be a symptom of a more serious problem. Seek medical care if your neck pain is accompanied by numbness or loss of strength in your arms or hands or if you have shooting pain into your shoulder or down your arm.
July 09, 2015
- Neck pain. American College of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/Practice/Clinical/Patients/Diseases_And_Conditions/Neck_Pain/. Accessed June 11, 2015.
- Chronic neck pain tip sheet. American Osteopathic Association. tps://www.osteopathic.org/search/Pages/results.aspx?k=Chronic neck pain. Accessed June 11, 2015.
- Isaac Z. Evaluation of the patient with neck pain and cervical spine disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 11, 2015.
- Isaac Z. Treatment of neck pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 11, 2015.
- Chiropractic and neck pain. American Chiropractic Association. https://www.acatoday.org/content_css.cfm?CID=2430. Accessed June 11, 2015.
- Neck pain. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00231. Accessed June 11, 2015.