Marfan syndrome, a connective tissue disorder, can affect almost any part of your body, including your heart, eyes and ligaments.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Tests and diagnosis
Eye exam — Overview covers definition, what to expect and results of vision testing.
Treatments and drugs
Think LASIK might free you from glasses? Here's help understanding whether the procedure makes sense for you.
Thinking about trying contact lenses? Here's an overview of the basic choices — plus tips to keep you seeing clearly.
LASIK eye surgery — Overview covers definition, risks, what to expect from vision correction surgery.
March 04, 2015
- Preferred practice patterns: Refractive errors and refractive surgery summary benchmark — 2014. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/summary-benchmark-detail/refractive-errors--surgery-summary-benchmark-octob. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Myopia (nearsightedness). American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/myopia.xml. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Refractive error. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye_disorders/refractive_error/overview_of_refractive_error.html. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Frequency of ocular examinations — 2009. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/clinical-statement/frequency-of-ocular-examinations--november-2009. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Mian SI. Visual impairment in adults: Refractive disorders and presbyopia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Opticians, dispensing. U.S. Department of Labor. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/print/opticians-dispensing.htm. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Eye health tips. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/healthyeyes/eyehealthtips.asp. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Morgan IG, et al. Myopia. The Lancet. 2012;379:1739.
- Myopia (adult and pediatric). AskMayoExpert. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Refractive error. AskMayoExpert. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Nearsightedness. American Academy of Opthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/myopia-nearsightedness/index.cfm. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Surgery to improve your vision: PRK and LASIK. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2008.
- Myopia (Nearsightedness). American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/eye-and-vision-problems/glossary-of-eye-and-vision-conditions/myopia?sso=y. Accessed Jan. 20, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.