Nearsightedness is diagnosed by a basic eye exam. A complete eye examination involves a series of tests. Your eye doctor may use various instruments, aim bright lights directly at your eyes and request that you look through an array of lenses. Each test allows your doctor to examine a different aspect of your vision.
Mar. 03, 2012
- Preferred practice patterns: Refractive errors and refractive surgery. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/CE/PracticeGuidelines/PPP_Content.aspx?cid=e6930284-2c41-48d5-afd2-631dec586286. Accessed Dec. 20, 2011.
- Facts about myopia. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/errors/myopia.asp#7. Accessed Dec. 21, 2011.
- Myopia (nearsightedness) American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/myopia.xml. Accessed Dec. 20, 2011.
- Refractive error. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye_disorders/refractive_error/overview_of_refractive_error.html. Accessed Dec. 20, 2011.
- Frequency of ocular examinations. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/CE/PracticeGuidelines/ClinicalStatements_Content.aspx?cid=810eaf61-181e-41c8-a0e8-e1d122efe5a4. Accessed Dec. 20, 2011.
- Mian SI. Visual impairment in adults: Refractive disorders and presbyopia. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 21, 2011.
- Opticians, dispensing. U.S. Department of Labor. http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos098.htm. Accessed Dec. 20, 2011.
- Eye health tips. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/healthyeyes/eyehealthtips.asp. Accessed Dec. 21, 2011.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 29, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.