Risk factorsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Certain risk factors may increase the likelihood of developing nearsightedness, such as:
March 04, 2015
- Family history. Nearsightedness tends to run in families. If one of your parents is nearsighted, your risk of developing the condition is increased. The risk is even higher if both parents are nearsighted.
- Reading. People who do a lot of reading may be at increased risk of myopia.
- Environmental conditions. Some studies support the idea that a lack of time spent outdoors may increase the chances of developing myopia.
- Preferred practice patterns: Refractive errors and refractive surgery summary benchmark — 2014. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/summary-benchmark-detail/refractive-errors--surgery-summary-benchmark-octob. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Myopia (nearsightedness). American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/myopia.xml. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Refractive error. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye_disorders/refractive_error/overview_of_refractive_error.html. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Frequency of ocular examinations — 2009. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/clinical-statement/frequency-of-ocular-examinations--november-2009. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Mian SI. Visual impairment in adults: Refractive disorders and presbyopia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Opticians, dispensing. U.S. Department of Labor. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/print/opticians-dispensing.htm. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Eye health tips. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/healthyeyes/eyehealthtips.asp. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Morgan IG, et al. Myopia. The Lancet. 2012;379:1739.
- Myopia (adult and pediatric). AskMayoExpert. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Refractive error. AskMayoExpert. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Nearsightedness. American Academy of Opthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/myopia-nearsightedness/index.cfm. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Surgery to improve your vision: PRK and LASIK. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2008.
- Myopia (Nearsightedness). American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/eye-and-vision-problems/glossary-of-eye-and-vision-conditions/myopia?sso=y. Accessed Jan. 20, 2015.