Nearsightedness may be associated with several complications, such as:
March 04, 2015
- Reduced quality of life. Uncorrected nearsightedness can affect your quality of life. You might not be able to perform a task as well as you wish. And your limited vision may detract from your enjoyment of day-to-day activities.
- Eyestrain. Uncorrected nearsightedness may cause you to squint or strain your eyes to maintain focus. This can lead to eyestrain and headaches.
- Impaired safety. Your own safety and that of others may be jeopardized if you have an uncorrected vision problem. This could be especially serious if you are driving a car or operating heavy equipment.
- Other eye problems. Severe nearsightedness puts you at a slightly increased risk of retinal detachment, glaucoma and cataracts.
- Preferred practice patterns: Refractive errors and refractive surgery summary benchmark — 2014. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/summary-benchmark-detail/refractive-errors--surgery-summary-benchmark-octob. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Myopia (nearsightedness). American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/myopia.xml. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Refractive error. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye_disorders/refractive_error/overview_of_refractive_error.html. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Frequency of ocular examinations — 2009. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/clinical-statement/frequency-of-ocular-examinations--november-2009. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Mian SI. Visual impairment in adults: Refractive disorders and presbyopia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Opticians, dispensing. U.S. Department of Labor. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/print/opticians-dispensing.htm. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Eye health tips. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/healthyeyes/eyehealthtips.asp. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Morgan IG, et al. Myopia. The Lancet. 2012;379:1739.
- Myopia (adult and pediatric). AskMayoExpert. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Refractive error. AskMayoExpert. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Nearsightedness. American Academy of Opthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/myopia-nearsightedness/index.cfm. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Surgery to improve your vision: PRK and LASIK. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2008.
- Myopia (Nearsightedness). American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/eye-and-vision-problems/glossary-of-eye-and-vision-conditions/myopia?sso=y. Accessed Jan. 20, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.