Nail fungus is a fungal infection in one or more of your nails. An infection with nail fungus may begin as a white or yellow spot under the tip of your fingernail or toenail. As the nail fungus spreads deeper into your nail, it may cause your nail to discolor, thicken and develop crumbling edges — an unsightly and potentially painful problem.
An infection with nail fungus may be difficult to treat, and it may recur. But medications are available to help clear up nail fungus.
Aug. 25, 2011
- Onychomycosis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec10/ch125/ch125c.html?qt=nail%20fungus&alt=sh. Accessed May 5, 2011.
- Goldstein AO, et al. Onychomycosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 21, 2011.
- Nail problems. American Podiatric Medical Association. http://www.apma.org/MainMenu/Foot-Health/Foot-Health-Brochures-category/Learn-About-Your-Feet/Nail-Problems.aspx. Accessed May 5, 2011.
- Kelechi TJ, et al. Four Vs for foot care. Vaseline, vegetable shortening, vinegar and Vicks VapoRub. Advance for Nurse Practitioners. 2004;12:67.
- Derby R, et al. Novel treatment of onychomycosis using over-the-counter mentholated ointment: A clinical case series. Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine. 2011;24:69.
- Habif TP. Nail diseases. In: Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do? about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed April 21, 2011.
- Hay RJ, et al. Onychomycosis: A proposed revision of the clinical classification. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2011. In press. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleListURL&_method=list&_ArticleListID=1761598027&_sort=r&_st=13&view=c&_acct=C000010878&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=130561&md5=e8df8bcde3b532684246542bf6609d1a&searchtype=a. Accessed May 5, 2011.
- Baran R. The nail in the elderly. Clinics in Dermatology. 2011;29:54.