Some people have had success with alternative approaches to treating nail fungus:
July 26, 2014
- Snakeroot extract. This product comes from plants of the sunflower family. In a study of 110 people, it was about as effective as ciclopirox. It was applied every third day for the first month, twice a week for the second month and once a month for the third month.
- Tea tree oil. This product, applied twice a day, is possibly effective in treating nail fungus, but more study is needed.
- Onychomycosis. The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec10/ch125/ch125c.html?qt=nail%20fungus&alt=sh. Accessed March 27, 2014.
- Goldstein AO, et al. Onychomycosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 27, 2014.
- Toenail fungus. American Podiatric Medical Association. http://www.apma.org/Learn/FootHealth.cfm?ItemNumber=1523. Accessed March 27, 2014.
- Baran R. The nail in the elderly. Clinics in Dermatology. 2011;29:54.
- Varade RS, et al. Cutaneous fungal infections in the elderly. Clinics in Geriatric Medicine. 2013;29:461.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 27, 2014.
- Gunduz T, et al. Epidemiological profile of onychomycosis in the elderly living in the nursing homes. European Geriatric Medicine. In press. Accessed March 27, 2014.
- Gupta AK, et al. Improved efficacy in onychomycosis therapy. Clinics in Dermatology. 2013;31:555.
- Westerberg DP, et al. Onychomycosis: Current trends in diagnosis and treatment. American Family Physician. 2013;88:762.
- AskMayoExpert. Fungal nail infection (onychomycosis). Rochester, Minn: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- de Berker D. Fungal nail disease. New England Journal of Medicine. 2009;360:2108.
- Lim EH, et al. Toenail onychomycosis treated with a fractional carbon-dioxide laser and topical antifungal cream. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. In press. Accessed March 31, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.