The CDC suggests that the following measures may reduce your risk of naegleria infection:
July 16, 2015
- Don't swim in or jump into warm freshwater lakes and rivers.
- Hold your nose shut or use nose clips when jumping or diving into warm bodies of fresh water.
- Avoid disturbing the sediment while swimming in shallow, warm fresh waters.
- Naegleria fowleri — Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis (PAM) — Amebic Encephalitis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/index.html. Accessed June 4, 2015.
- Seas C, et al. Free-living amebas. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 4, 2015.
- Naegleria fowleri — General information. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/general.html. Accessed June 4, 2015.
- Naegleria fowleri — Treatment. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/treatment.html. Accessed June 9, 2015.
- Steckelberg JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 9, 2015.