Doctors at Mayo Clinic have pioneered the diagnosis and management of myocarditis for adults and children for nearly 20 years. They have published a large number of original publications and edited a major textbook in the field.
Mayo Clinic doctors trained in heart conditions (cardiologists) and heart surgeons (cardiovascular surgeons) have extensive experience diagnosing and treating people with myocarditis. Mayo Clinic doctors evaluate and treat more than 235 people with myocarditis each year.
Nationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic Children's Center in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Children's Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
With Mayo Clinic's emphasis on collaborative care, specialists at each of the campuses — Minnesota, Arizona and Florida — interact very closely with colleagues at the other campuses and the Mayo Clinic Health System.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's cardiac surgery and cardiovascular diseases departments' expertise and rankings.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
July 12, 2017
- AskMayoExpert. Myocarditis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Cooper LT. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of myocarditis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 17, 2017.
- Bozkurt B, et al. Current diagnostic and treatment strategies for specific dilated cardiomyopathies: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2016;134:e579.
- Cooper LT. Etiology and pathogenesis of myocarditis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 17, 2017.
- Fung G, et al. Myocarditis. Circulation Research. 2016;118:496.
- Krejci J, et al. Inflammatory cardiomyopathy: A current view on the pathophysiology, diagnosis, and treatment. Biomed Research International. 2016;2016:1.
- Cooper LT. Treatment and prognosis of myocarditis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 17, 2017.
- Allan CK, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of myocarditis in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 20, 2017.
- Bonow RO, et al. Myocarditis. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 20, 2017.
- Atas H, et al. Two cases of acute myocarditis with multiple intracardiac thrombi: The role of huypercoagulable states. Heart Views. 2014;15:22.
- Stopping the spread of germs at home, work & school. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/stopgerms.htm. Accessed Feb. 21, 2017.
- Heart-healthy lifestyle changes. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/heart-healthy-lifestyle-changes#. Accessed Feb. 21, 2017.
- Mayo Clinic finds myocarditis caused by infection on rise globally. Mayo Clinic News Network. http://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mayo-clinic-finds-myocarditis-caused-by-infection-on-rise-globally/. Accessed Feb. 21, 2017.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 16, 2017.
- Heymans S, et al. The quest for new approaches in myocarditis and inflammatory cardiomyopathy. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2016;68:2348.
- Sinagra G, et al. Myocarditis in clinical practice. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2016;91:1256.
- Mankad R (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 6, 2017.
- Cooper LT, et al. The role of endomyocardial biopsy in the management of cardiovascular disease: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association, the American College of Cardiology, and the European Society of Cardiology. Circulation. 2007;116:2216.
News, connections and conversations for your health