Angina is a common type of chest pain caused by coronary artery disease. Unstable angina can be a warning sign of a heart attack.
Coronary angioplasty and stents can reopen clogged heart arteries if buildup of plaques is causing chest pain, shortness of breath or a heart attack.
Sometimes, all you need for arm pain is home treatment. Other times, fractures and nerve problems can require extensive medical care.
High stress levels at work can steal the joy from life. Learn how to turn the tables on job stress, starting today.
A coronary angiogram uses special X-rays to examine the inside of your heart's blood vessels. Find out what to expect when you have the procedure.
Coronary bypass surgery is a procedure to treat blockage of blood to the heart muscle.
Having a plan to stop smoking or stop using other tobacco may help you quit for good. Here's how to put a quit-smoking plan in place.
Daily aspirin therapy can be a lifesaving option, but it's not for everyone. Get the facts before considering a daily aspirin.
Echocardiogram allows your doctor to see your heart in motion. Here's what you need to know about the test.
An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test that provides valuable clues about your heart health. Here's what you need to know about the test.
Can't afford a gym membership? Use these tips to get in shape without breaking your budget.
Finding time for fitness can be tough. Start by making it convenient.
Discover why saying no may be the single most important strategy you can use for stress relief.
Learn ways to trim the fat from meat and poultry without sacrificing taste and enjoyment.
Neck pain can result from a wide variety of causes including injury, poor posture, and wear and tear on joints.
A nuclear stress test is used to diagnose heart conditions by comparing images of your heart during exercise and while at rest.
When you're trying to quit smoking, cravings can be powerful. Use these 10 strategies to help resist tobacco cravings.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Convert your thoughts into actions by setting realistic and attainable weight-loss goals.
Before you plunge into a weight-loss program, see if you're truly ready to change.
Mar. 06, 2014
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Oct. 15, 2013.
- American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/PreventionTreatmentofHeartAttack/Silent-Ischemia-and-Ischemic-Heart-Disease_UCM_434092_Article.jsp. Accessed Oct. 17, 2013.
- Fihn SD, et al. 2012 ACCF/AHA/ACP/AATS/PCNA/SCAI/STS guideline for the diagnosis and management of patients with stable ischemic heart disease. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2012;30:e44.
- Podrid PJ. Pathophysiology and clinical presentation of ischemic chest pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 15, 2013.
- Fuster V, ed. et al. Hurst's The Heart. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed Oct. 15, 2013.
- What are coronary heart disease risk factors? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hd/printall-index.html. Accessed Oct. 17, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.