Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
A complete blood count can be used to evaluate your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Treatments and drugs
Aug. 01, 2014
- Hoffman R, et al. Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 23, 2013.
- Mesa RA. The evolving treatment paradigm in myelofibrosis. Leukemia & Lymphoma. 2013;2:242.
- Tefferi A, et al. One thousand patients with primary myelofibrosis: The Mayo Clinic experience. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2012;87:25.
- Myelofibrosis facts. Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. http://www.lls.org/#/diseaseinformation/myeloproliferativediseases/idiopathicmyelofibrosis. Accessed Sept. 23, 2013.
- Thorium. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/tf.asp?id=659&tid=121. Accessed Sept. 23, 2013.
- Jakafi (prescribing information). Wilmington, Del.: Incyte Corporation; 2013. http://www.jakafi.com. Accessed Sept. 23, 2013.
- Bone marrow transplantation and peripheral blood stem cell transplantation. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Therapy/bone-marrow-transplant. Accessed Sept. 25, 2013.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 5, 2013.
- Mesa RA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. Sept. 26, 2013.