Myelofibrosis is a serious bone marrow disorder that disrupts your body's normal production of blood cells. The result is extensive scarring in your bone marrow, leading to severe anemia, weakness, fatigue and often an enlarged spleen.
Myelofibrosis is an uncommon type of chronic leukemia — a cancer that affects the blood-forming tissues in the body. Myelofibrosis belongs to a group of diseases called myeloproliferative disorders.
Many people with myelofibrosis get progressively worse, and some may eventually develop a more serious form of leukemia. Yet it's also possible to have myelofibrosis and live symptom-free for years. Treatment for myelofibrosis, which focuses on relieving symptoms, can involve a variety of options.
Myelofibrosis care at Mayo Clinic
Nov. 02, 2016
- AskMayoExpert. Primary myelofibrosis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Kaushansky K, et al., eds. Primary myelofibrosis. In: Williams Hematology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2016. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Sept. 22, 2016.
- Hoffman R, et al. Primary myelofibrosis. In: Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 22, 2016.
- Tefferi A. Myeloproliferative neoplasms: A decade of discoveries and treatment advances. American Journal of Hematology. 2016;91:50.
- Thorium. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/tf.asp?id=659&tid=121. Accessed Sept. 22, 2016.
- Jakafi (prescribing information). Wilmington, Del.: Incyte Corp.; 2016. http://www.jakafi.com. Accessed Sept. 22, 2016.
- Blood-forming stem cell transplants. National Cancer Institute. https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/types/stem-cell-transplant/stem-cell-fact-sheet. Accessed Sept. 22, 2016.
- Mesa RA. The evolving treatment paradigm in myelofibrosis. Leukemia & Lymphoma. 2013;2:242.
- Tefferi A, et al. One thousand patients with primary myelofibrosis: The Mayo Clinic experience. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2012;87:25.
- Palliative care. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Sept. 22, 2016.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 19, 2016.