- Collaboration. At Mayo Clinic, hematologists, pathologists and bone marrow transplant specialists work as a multidisciplinary team to provide whole-person care for people with myelodysplastic syndromes. Other professionals are included as needed.
- Experience. Each year, Mayo Clinic doctors care for more than 1,000 people with myelodysplastic syndromes. Your care team is prepared with the knowledge and resources to provide you with exactly the care you need.
Expertise in diagnosing myelodysplastic syndromes. Mayo Clinic hematologists and pathologists are respected for their skill and experience in diagnosing myelodysplastic syndromes.
Careful analysis of DNA mutations in bone marrow cells can provide details needed to determine your treatment and to understand your prognosis.
Mayo Clinic doctors have access to the latest technology in order to perform advanced laboratory testing on blood and bone marrow samples.
- Expertise in bone marrow transplantation. Mayo Clinic transplant specialists have experience in using bone marrow transplant to treat people with myelodysplastic syndrome. Mayo Clinic offers reduced-intensity (nonmyeloablative) bone marrow transplants in certain situations.
- Recognized centers of excellence. The Myelodysplastic Syndromes Foundation recognizes each of the Mayo Clinic campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota as a Center of Excellence in diagnosing, treating and researching myelodysplastic syndromes.
- A full range of treatment options to consider. Mayo Clinic doctors will work with you to review all of your treatment options and choose the treatment that best suits your needs and goals. The range of treatment options offered to people with myelodysplastic syndromes includes supportive care, such as blood transfusions, medications and bone marrow transplant.
- Comprehensive cancer center. Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets strict standards for a National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer center, which recognizes scientific excellence and a multidisciplinary approach to cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for cancer by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Nov. 11, 2014
- Myelodysplastic syndromes. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Sept. 24, 2014.
- Myelodysplastic syndromes treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/myelodysplastic/Patient. Accessed Sept. 24, 2014.
- Vardiman JW, et al. The 2008 revision of the World Health Organization (WHO) classification of myeloid neoplasms and acute leukemia: Rationale and important changes. Blood. 2009;114:937.
- Niederhuber JE, et al. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 24, 2014.
- Hoffman R, et al. Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 24, 2014.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 7, 2014.
- MDS Centers of Excellence. MDS Foundation. http://www.mds-foundation.org/mds-centers-of-excellence/. Accessed Sept. 25, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.