- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in nervous system conditions (neurologists), chest surgeons (thoracic surgeons) and other specialists have extensive experience in diagnosing and treating myasthenia gravis. Doctors also have experience treating rare, hereditary forms of myasthenia called congenital myasthenic syndromes.
- Team approach. Neurologists work with an integrated team of chest surgeons (thoracic surgeons), cancer specialists (oncologists) and others to evaluate your condition and determine the most appropriate treatment plan.
- Efficient system. In Mayo Clinic's system, your testing and diagnosis usually can be done in just days.
- Surgical experience. Mayo Clinic thoracic surgeons are experienced in treating myasthenia gravis and performing surgery to remove the thymus gland (thymectomy). At Mayo Clinic in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota, you may have the option of a minimally invasive thymectomy, which may include a video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery or robotic surgery. Not all surgical options are available at all Mayo locations.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks #1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery, and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Apr. 23, 2013
- Myasthenia gravis fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/myasthenia_gravis/detail_myasthenia_gravis.htm. Accessed Jan. 18, 2013.
- Myasthenia gravis. Office of Women's Health. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/myasthenia-gravis.cfm. Accessed Feb. 4, 2013.
- Bird SJ. Clinical manifestations of myasthenia gravis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 18, 2013.
- Allan W. Pathogenesis of myasthenia gravis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 6, 2013.
- Bird SJ. Diagnosis of myasthenia gravis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 18, 2013.
- Rubin DI. Neurologic manifestations of hyperthyroidism and Graves' disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 6, 2013.
- Rubin DI. Neurologic manifestations of hypothyroidism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 6, 2013.
- Bird SJ. Treatment of myasthenia gravis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 18, 2013.
- Bodamer OA, et al. Neuromuscular junction disorders in newborns and infants. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 7, 2013.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed Jan. 28, 2013.
- Bird SJ. Chronic immunomodulating therapies for myasthenia gravis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 7, 2013.
- Bird SJ. Thymectomy for myasthenia gravis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 5, 2013.
- Limmer KK, et al. Minimally invasive and robotic-assisted thymus reduction. Thoracic Surgery Clinics. 2011;21:69.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Myasthenia gravis: A guide for patients. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2003.
- How can I provide emotional support for a relative who has MG? Myasthenia Gravis Association of America. http://www.myasthenia.org/LivingwithMG/InformationalMaterials.aspx. Accessed Feb. 7, 2013.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2012-2013. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Jan. 25, 2013.
- Crum BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 1, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.