Lifestyle and home remedies
Doctors often advise using certain self-care measures to help minimize MSA symptoms, such as:
- Take steps to raise your blood pressure. Add a little salt to the diet and drink more fluids. Salt and fluids can increase blood volume and raise your blood pressure. Drink coffee and other caffeinated fluids to raise your blood pressure.
- Elevate the head of your bed. Raising the head of your bed to about a 30-degree angle will minimize increases in blood pressure when you sleep. Get up slowly from a reclining position.
- Make dietary changes. Add more fiber to your diet in order to ease constipation. You may also benefit from over-the-counter laxatives. Eat small, low-carbohydrate meals.
- Avoid getting too hot. Stay in air-conditioned rooms on very hot days. Avoid excessive amounts of heat in the bathroom when bathing.
- Wear elastic support stockings up to your waist. This can help keep your blood pressure from dropping.
June 17, 2017
- Daroff RB, et al. Disorders of the autonomic nervous system. In: Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 15, 2017.
- Factor SA, et al. Multiple system atrophy: Clinical features and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 15, 2017.
- Multiple system atrophy. National Organization of Rare Diseases. https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/multiple-system-atrophy/. Accessed March 19, 2017.
- Multiple system atrophy fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/msa/detail_msa.htm. Accessed March 13, 2017.
- Multiple system atrophy. Merck Manual Consumer Version. elizhttp://www.merckmanuals.com/home/brain,-spinal-cord,-and-nerve-disorders/autonomic-nervous-system-disorders/multiple-system-atrophy. Accessed March 19, 2017.
- Factor SA, et al. Multiple system atrophy: Prognosis and treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 15, 2017.
- Drug approval package: Northera (droxidopa) capsules approval letter. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/nda/2014/203202Orig1s000TOC.cfm. Accessed March 21, 2017.
- Sandroni P (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 22, 2017.
- Ferri FF. Multiple system atrophy. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 15, 2017.
- Coon EA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 22, 2017.
Multiple system atrophy (MSA)