Multiple myeloma is a cancer that forms in a type of white blood cell called a plasma cell. Plasma cells help you fight infections by making antibodies that recognize and attack germs.
Multiple myeloma causes cancer cells to accumulate in the bone marrow, where they crowd out healthy blood cells. Rather than produce helpful antibodies, the cancer cells produce abnormal proteins that can cause kidney problems.
Treatment for multiple myeloma isn't always necessary. If you're not experiencing signs and symptoms, you may not require treatment. If signs and symptoms develop, a number of treatments can help control your multiple myeloma.
Multiple myeloma care at Mayo Clinic
Aug. 23, 2017
- Kaushansky K, et al., eds. Myeloma. In: Williams Hematology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2016. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed March 31, 2017.
- Ferri FF. Multiple myeloma. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 31, 2017.
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Multiple myeloma and related disorders. In: Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 23, 2017.
- Multiple myeloma. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed March 31, 2017.
- Plasma cell neoplasms (including multiple myeloma) treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. https://www.cancer.gov/types/myeloma/patient/myeloma-treatment-pdq. Accessed April 23, 2017.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Plasma cell disorders. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 30, 2017.
- Kyprolis (prescribing information). South San Francisco, Calif.: Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; 2012. http://www.kyprolis-hcp.com/. Accessed April 23, 2017.
- Velcade (prescribing information). Cambridge, Mass.: Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; 2012. http://www.velcade.com. Accessed April 23, 2017.
- Integrative medicine and complementary and alternative therapies. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. https://www.lls.org/treatment/integrative-medicine-and-complementary-and-alternative-therapies. Accessed April 23, 2017.
- Warner KJ. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 11, 2017.
- Russell SJ, et al. Remission of disseminated cancer after system oncolytic virotherapy. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2014;89:926.
- Ninlaro (prescribing information). Cambridge, Mass.: Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; 2016. https://www.ninlarohcp.com. Accessed April 30, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. Multiple myeloma. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.