Mayo Clinic's multiple myeloma researchers are actively studying new ways of diagnosing and treating multiple myeloma.
Researchers at Mayo Clinic have played a key role in developing new drug treatments for multiple myeloma and continue to study new therapies. Mayo researchers developed the Mayo Stratification of Myeloma and Risk-Adapted Therapy (mSMART) model classification systems that divide multiple myeloma into high-risk, intermediate-risk and standard-risk categories.
The Hematologic Malignancies Program conducts blood and bone marrow cancer research in coordination with the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center. The Mayo Clinic Cancer Center receives funding from the National Cancer Institute and is designated as a comprehensive cancer center — recognition for an institution's scientific excellence and multidisciplinary resources focused on cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic authors on multiple myeloma on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Sept. 11, 2014
- Leif Bergsagel, M.D.
- David Dingli, M.D., Ph.D.
- Angela Dispenzieri, M.D.
- Rafael Fonseca, M.D.
- Morie A. Gertz, M.D.
- Suzanne R. Hayman, M.D.
- Diane F. Jelinek, Ph.D.
- Shaji Kumar, M.D.
- Robert A. Kyle, M.D.
- Martha Q. Lacy, M.D.
- Nelson Leung, M.D.
- John A. Lust, M.D., Ph.D.
- Joseph R. Mikhael, M.D.
- S. Vincent Rajkumar, M.D.
- Craig B. Reeder, M.D.
- Vivek Roy, M.D.
- Stephen J. Russell, M.D., Ph.D.
- Keith Stewart, M.B., Ch.B.
- Thomas E. Witzig, M.D.
- Steven R. Zeldenrust, M.D., Ph.D.
- Lichtman MA, et al. Williams Hematology. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=69. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Multiple myeloma. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed
- Plasma cell neoplasms (including multiple myeloma) treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/myeloma/Patient. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Palumbo A, et al. International Myeloma Working Group consensus statement for the management, treatment and supportive care of patients with myeloma not eligible for standard autologous stem-cell transplantation. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2014;32:587.
- Kyprolis (prescribing information). South San Francisco, Calif.: Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; 2012. http://www.kyproslis.com. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Velcade (prescribing information). Cambridge, Mass.: Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; 2012. http://www.velcade.com. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Integrative medicine and complementary and alternative therapies as part of blood cancer care. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. http://www.lls.org/#/resourcecenter/freeeducationmaterials/treatment/integrativemedandcam. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 2, 2014.
- Russell SJ, et al. Remission of disseminated cancer after system oncolytic virotherapy. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2014;89:926.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.