DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Multiple myeloma is a cancer that forms in a type of white blood cell called a plasma cell. Plasma cells help you fight infections by making antibodies that recognize and attack germs.
Multiple myeloma causes cancer cells to accumulate in the bone marrow, where they crowd out healthy blood cells. Rather than produce helpful antibodies, the cancer cells produce abnormal proteins that can cause kidney problems.
Treatment for multiple myeloma isn't always necessary. If you're not experiencing signs and symptoms, you may not require treatment. If signs and symptoms develop, a number of treatments can help control your multiple myeloma.
Dec. 04, 2015
- Lichtman MA, et al. Williams Hematology. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=69. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Multiple myeloma. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed
- Plasma cell neoplasms (including multiple myeloma) treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/myeloma/Patient. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Palumbo A, et al. International Myeloma Working Group consensus statement for the management, treatment and supportive care of patients with myeloma not eligible for standard autologous stem-cell transplantation. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2014;32:587.
- Kyprolis (prescribing information). South San Francisco, Calif.: Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; 2012. http://www.kyproslis.com. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Velcade (prescribing information). Cambridge, Mass.: Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; 2012. http://www.velcade.com. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Integrative medicine and complementary and alternative therapies as part of blood cancer care. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. http://www.lls.org/#/resourcecenter/freeeducationmaterials/treatment/integrativemedandcam. Accessed June 24, 2014.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 2, 2014.
- Russell SJ, et al. Remission of disseminated cancer after system oncolytic virotherapy. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2014;89:926.