- Experience. Morton's neuroma is a common foot problem, and Mayo doctors have extensive experience in treating it.
- Expertise. Mayo Clinic doctors who have expertise in disorders of the bones and connective tissue (orthopedic surgeons) treat people who have Morton's neuroma.
- Variety of treatments. Mayo's foot and ankle specialists usually recommend conservative treatments first, turning to surgery only if more-conservative treatments aren't helpful.
- Team approach. Integrated teams include doctors and other professionals dedicated to creating an individual treatment plan to help each person get relief from the pain of Morton's neuroma.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for orthopedics.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
May 16, 2013
- Thomas JL, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of forefoot disorders. Section 3. Morton's intermetatarsal neuroma. The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery. 2009;48:251.
- Imboden JB, et al. Current Rheumatology Diagnosis & Treatment. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=38. Accessed Feb. 20, 2013.
- Adams WR. Morton's neuroma. Clinics in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery. 2010; 27:535.
- Morton's neuroma. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00158. Accessed Feb. 20, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. What treatment options are available for Morton neuroma? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Weller GG (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 26, 2013.
- Callahan LR. Overview of running injuries of the lower extremity. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 20, 2013.
- Neuromas. American Podiatric Medical Association. http://www.apma.org/learn/FootHealth.cfm?ItemNumber=987. Accessed Feb. 20, 2013.