Morning sickness is typically diagnosed based on your signs and symptoms. If your pregnancy care provider suspects hyperemesis gravidarum, you may need various urine and blood tests. Your pregnancy care provider may also do an ultrasound to confirm the number of fetuses and detect any underlying conditions that may be contributing to the nausea.
Oct. 04, 2011
- Smith JA, et al. Treatment of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy (hyperemesis gravidarum and morning sickness). http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 22, 2011.
- Hill CC, et al. Physiologic changes in pregnancy. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2008;88:391.
- Morning sickness. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp126.cfm. Accessed Aug. 24, 2011.
- You and your baby: Prenatal care, labor and delivery, and postpartum care. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/ab005.cfm. Accessed Aug. 24, 2011.
- Holst L, et al. The use and the user of herbal remedies during pregnancy. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2009;15:1.
- Goodwin TM. Hyperemesis gravidarum. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America. 2008;35:401.
- Ginger. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Aug. 24, 2011.
- Acupressure. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Aug. 24, 2011.
- Mason MC. Pain relief to a point. Nursing Standard. 2008;22:22.
- Simon EP, et al. Medical hypnosis for hyperemesis gravidarum. Birth. 1999;26:248.
- Czeizel AE, et al. The effect of periconceptional multivitamin-mineral supplementation on vertigo, nausea and vomiting in the first trimester of pregnancy. Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics. 1992;251:181.
- Emelianova S, et al. Prevalence and severity of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy and effect of vitamin supplementation. Clinical and Investigative Medicine. 1999;22:106.
- Gill SK, et al. The effectiveness of discontinuing iron-containing prenatal multivitamins on reducing the severity of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2009;29:13.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 9, 2008.
- Refruezo JS, et al. Clinical features and diagnostic evaluation of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy (hyperemesis gravidarum and morning sickness). http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 22, 2011.
- Diclegis (prescribing information). Bryn Mawr, Penn.: Duchesnay Inc., 2013. http://www.diclegis.com/pdf/Diclegis_Full_Prescribing_Information.pdf . Accessed Aug. 19, 2013.
- FDA approves Diclegis for pregnant women experiencing nausea and vomiting. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm347087.htm. Accessed Aug. 19, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.