CausesBy Mayo Clinic Staff
The virus that causes molluscum contagiosum spreads easily through:
- Direct skin-to-skin contact
- Contact with contaminated objects, such as toys, towels and faucet handles
- Sexual contact with an affected partner
Scratching or rubbing the bumps spreads the virus to nearby skin.
March 21, 2015
- Molluscum (Molluscum contagiosum): Frequently asked questions for everyone. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/molluscum/faq/everyone.htm. Accessed Jan. 14, 2015.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookid=331. Accessed Jan. 11, 2015.
- Papadakis MA, ed., et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2015. 54th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2015. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookID=1019. Accessed Jan. 11, 2015.
- Isaacs SN. Molluscum contagiosum. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 11, 2015.