To keep mold allergy symptoms at bay, take these measures:
Oct. 29, 2014
- Sleep with your windows closed to keep out outdoor mold. The concentration of airborne mold spores tends to be greatest at night, when the weather is cool and damp.
- Wear a dust mask over your nose and mouth to keep mold spores out if you have to rake leaves, mow your lawn or work around compost.
- Avoid going outdoors at certain times, such as immediately after a rainstorm, in foggy or damp weather, or when the published mold count is high.
- Mold allergy overview. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/allergies/mold-allergy.aspx. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- Mold allergy. Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=8&sub=15&cont=58. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- Basic facts: Molds in the environment. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://cdc.gov/mold/faqs.htm. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- A brief guide to mold, moisture and your home. Environmental Protection Agency. http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldguide.html. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- Atopic and allergic disorders. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec13/ch165/ch165c.html. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- Lalwani AK. Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=39. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0986-5..C2009-0-38984-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0986-5&about=true&uniqId=236797353-5. Accessed Nov. 20, 2012.
- Bozeman S, et al. Complications of allergic fungal sinusitis. The American Journal of Medicine. 2011;124:359.
- Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/lung_and_airway_disorders/allergic_and_autoimmune_diseases_of_the_lungs/allergic_bronchopulmonary_aspergillosis.html. Accessed Dec. 3, 2012.
- A brief guide to mold in the workplace. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. http://www.osha.gov/dts/shib/shib101003.html. Accessed Dec. 3, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.