If you have a mold allergy, your immune system overreacts when you breathe in mold spores. This triggers a cascade of reactions that lead to allergic symptoms. Like other allergies, a mold allergy can make you cough, make your eyes itch and cause other symptoms that make you miserable. In some people, mold allergy is linked to asthma and exposure causes restricted breathing and other airway symptoms.
If you have a mold allergy, the best defense is to reduce your exposure to the types of mold that cause your reaction. While it isn't always possible to avoid mold allergy triggers, medications can help keep mold allergy reactions under control.
Oct. 29, 2014
- Mold allergy overview. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/allergies/mold-allergy.aspx. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- Mold allergy. Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=8&sub=15&cont=58. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- Basic facts: Molds in the environment. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://cdc.gov/mold/faqs.htm. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- A brief guide to mold, moisture and your home. Environmental Protection Agency. http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldguide.html. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- Atopic and allergic disorders. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec13/ch165/ch165c.html. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- Lalwani AK. Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=39. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0986-5..C2009-0-38984-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0986-5&about=true&uniqId=236797353-5. Accessed Nov. 20, 2012.
- Bozeman S, et al. Complications of allergic fungal sinusitis. The American Journal of Medicine. 2011;124:359.
- Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/lung_and_airway_disorders/allergic_and_autoimmune_diseases_of_the_lungs/allergic_bronchopulmonary_aspergillosis.html. Accessed Dec. 3, 2012.
- A brief guide to mold in the workplace. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. http://www.osha.gov/dts/shib/shib101003.html. Accessed Dec. 3, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.