Treatments and drugsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Possible treatments for mittelschmerz include:
May 30, 2014
- Pain relievers. For the relief of discomfort from mittelschmerz, try an over-the-counter drug such as acetaminophen (Tylenol, others), aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) or naproxen sodium (Aleve).
- Birth control pills (oral contraceptives). If mittelschmerz causes you a lot of discomfort or occurs monthly, ask your doctor about taking birth control pills. They prevent ovulation, so you shouldn't have ovulation pain while on them.
- Blechman AN, et al. Evaluation and management of ruptured ovarian cyst. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 13, 2014.
- Stone C, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment Emergency Medicine. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=385&Sectionid=40357254. Accessed March 13, 2014.
- Won HA, et al. Optimal management of chronic cyclic pelvic pain: An evidence-based and pragmatic approach. International Journal of Women's Health. 2010;2:263.