Bronchitis often develops after a cold. Learn how to prevent this potentially serious lung infection.
If you have heart disease, flu shots can reduce your risk of flu-related complications that could worsen your condition. Find out why.
High blood pressure affecting only the arteries in your lungs is known as pulmonary hypertension. Discover the symptoms, risk factors and treatment for this condition.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
This whooshing sound in your heart is usually harmless, but in some cases heart murmurs can alert your doctor to specific heart conditions.
Heart palpitations are skipped, fluttering or racing heartbeats that aren't usually a symptom of a serious heart problem. Discover the causes and symptoms of this condition.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
Cardiac catheterization is used as a test for some heart conditions and as a procedure to treat some types of heart disease. Find out more.
Echocardiogram allows your doctor to see your heart in motion. Here's what you need to know about the test.
An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test that provides valuable clues about your heart health. Here's what you need to know about the test.
Aug. 22, 2014
- Heart valve disease. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/hvd/hvd_all.html. Accessed June 2, 2014.
- Roles of your four heart valves. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/HeartValveProblemsandDisease/Roles-of-Your-Four-Heart-Valves_UCM_450344_Article.jsp. Accessed June 2, 2014.
- Otto CM. Pathophysiology, clinical features and evaluation of mitral stenosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 2, 2014.
- What is pulmonary hypertension? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/pah/. Accessed June 2, 2014.
- Sorrentino MJ. Medical management and indications for intervention in mitral stenosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 2, 2014.
- Schiller NB, et al. Echocardiographic evaluation of the mitral valve. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 3, 2014.
- Maganti K, et al. Vascular heart disease: Diagnosis and management. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2010;85:483.
- Sorrentino MJ. Surgical management of mitral stenosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 2, 2014.
- Mitral valve repair surgery (commissurotomy) for mitral valve stenosis. American College of Cardiology. https://www.cardiosmart.org/healthwise/abn0/755/abn0755. Accessed June 3, 2014.
- Freeman RV. Mitral annular calcification. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 8, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.