A heart arrhythmia is an abnormal heart rhythm. Arrhythmias can be a byproduct of damage to the heart from disease or age.
If you have heart disease, flu shots can reduce your risk of flu-related complications that could worsen your condition. Find out why.
Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) includes a group of uncommon genetic disorders that mainly affect the joints, skin and walls of blood vessels.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
Cardiac catheterization is used as a test for some heart conditions and as a procedure to treat some types of heart disease. Find out more.
Even with today's high-tech medical devices, the basic chest X-ray remains an important tool in diagnosing various conditions. Here's a look at how it works.
A coronary angiogram uses special X-rays to examine the inside of your heart's blood vessels. Find out what to expect when you have the procedure.
Echocardiogram allows your doctor to see your heart in motion. Here's what you need to know about the test.
An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test that provides valuable clues about your heart health. Here's what you need to know about the test.
A stress test is used to diagnose coronary artery disease and heart arrhythmias, as well as guide treatment of heart disorders.
Apr. 05, 2014
- Pislaru S, et al. Definition and diagnosis of mitral valve prolapse. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 7, 2013.
- What is mitral valve prolapse? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/mvp/. Accessed Nov. 7, 2013.
- Problem: Mitral valve prolapse. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/HeartValveProblemsandDisease/Problem-Mitral-Valve-Prolapse_UCM_450441_Article.jsp. Accessed Nov. 11, 2013.
- Pislaru S, et al. Nonarrhythmic complications of mitral valve prolapse. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 7, 2013.
- Wilson W, et al. Prevention of infective endocarditis: Guidelines from the American Heart Association. Journal of the American Dental Association. 2008;139:3S.
- Sorrentino MJ. Arrhythmic complications of mitral valve prolapse. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 7, 2013.
- What is transesophogeal echocardiography? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/tee/. Accessed Nov. 13, 2013.
- What is an electrocardiogram? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ekg/. Accessed Nov. 13, 2013.
- Nishimura RA, et al. ACC/AHA 2008 Guideline update on valvular heart disease: Focused update on infective endocarditis. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2008;52:676.
- Guy TS, et al. Mitral valve prolapse. Annual Review of Medicine. 2012;63:277.
- What is coronary angiography? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ca/. Accessed Nov. 13, 2013.
- Stewart WK, et al. Mitral valve prolapse. First Consult. http://www.clinicalkey.com/. Accessed Nov. 7, 2013.
- Grogan M (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 9, 2013.