Find out how acupuncture works, who should avoid it and what conditions it can treat.
Biofeedback is a technique in which you use your mind to control your body, possibly helping with relaxation and a variety of health conditions.
Chiropractic adjustment — Overview covers definition, what to expect from spinal manipulation treatment for back pain.
Stressed out? Muscles ache? A massage might be what you need. But get the facts first.
Lifestyle and home remedies
There's more to treating migraines than medication. Taking good care of yourself can help you manage migraine pain.
Relaxation techniques can help reduce stress symptoms and improve your quality of life. Learn simple relaxation techniques you can practice almost anywhere.
Having trouble sleeping? Set the stage for better sleep with these simple tips.
Take control of your mood and health. Explore the many depression treatment options and learn coping skills.
Diarrhea can have many triggers, including viruses, bacteria, parasites and certain medications. Though unpleasant, most cases of diarrhea go away without treatment.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Children of all ages experience headaches, but the causes aren't all the same. Here's how to help your child.
Sick to your stomach? Nausea and vomiting usually pass quickly but sometimes result from long-term or serious conditions.
Tests and diagnosis
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Lumbar puncture (spinal tap) — Overview covers definition, risks and results of this procedure.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Treatments and drugs
Botox is used not only for wrinkles but for other conditions, as well. Here are the pros and cons of this popular treatment.
Jun. 04, 2013
- NINDS migraine information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/migraine/migraine.htm. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- Headache: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/headache/detail_headache.htm. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- Cutrer FM, et al. Pathophysiology, clinical manifestations and diagnosis of migraine in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- Daroff RB, et al. Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0434-1..C2009-0-40427-6--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0434-1&uniqId=364938937-2. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- Bajwa ZH, et al. Acute treatment of migraine in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- Calhoun AH. Estrogen-associated migraine. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 5, 2013.
- Martin KA, et al. Risks and side effects associated with estrogen-progestin contraceptives. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 5, 2013.
- Solomon DH. Nonselective NSAIDs: Overview of adverse effects. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 8, 2013.
- Bajwa ZH, et al. Preventive treatment of migraine in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed April 9, 2013.
- Headaches and complementary health approaches. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/pain/headachefacts.htm?nav=gsa. Accessed April 9, 2013.
- Ramzan M, et al. Headache, migraine and stroke. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 9, 2013.
- Cruse RP. Management of migraine headache in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 10, 2013.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2012-2013. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=40. Accessed April 26, 2013.
- Swanson JW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 25, 2013.