Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Back pain can come on gradually or suddenly. Most back pain responds to home treatment within a few weeks.
Is your child dealing with a mental health condition? Recognize the warning signs.
This treatment uses electrodes implanted in your brain to treat a number of neurological conditions, such as Parkinson's disease.
Take control of your mood and health. Explore the many depression treatment options and learn coping skills.
When other treatments haven't worked, ECT may be an option. Set aside preconceived notions and learn about benefits and risks.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Curious about mental health? Discover what shapes the definitions of mental health and mental illness.
Looking for a mental health provider but not sure where to start? Here are tips, questions to ask and issues to consider.
Psychotherapy is one way to treat many mental illnesses. See how therapy is used and which type may be best for you.
Understand the warning signs and causes of suicide. You may be able to save a life — possibly your own.
Transcranial magnetic stimulation is a form of brain stimulation, sometimes used when standard depression treatments haven't worked.
Vagus nerve stimulation may be an option when traditional epilepsy treatment doesn't work.
May. 03, 2014
- Understanding psychotherapy and how it works. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/understanding-psychotherapy.aspx. Accessed Feb. 5, 2014.
- Mental illness and the family: Recognizing warning signs and how to cope. Mental Health America. http://www.nmha.org/go/information/get-info/mi-and-the-family/recognizing-warning-signs-and-how-to-cope. Accessed Feb. 5, 2014.
- Use of the manual. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Feb. 5, 2014.
- Blumberger DM, et al. What is the role of brain stimulation therapies in the treatment of depression? Current Psychiatry Reports. 2013;15:368.
- Mental health medications. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/mental-health-medications/index.shtml. Accessed Feb. 6, 2014.
- Mind/body connection: How your emotions affect your health. American Academy of Family Physicians. http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/prevention-wellness/emotional-wellbeing/mental-health/mind-body-connection-how-your-emotions-affect-your-health.html. Accessed Feb. 6, 2014.
- CDC report: Mental illness surveillance among adults in the United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/mentalhealthsurveillance/fact_sheet.html. Accessed Feb. 6, 2014.
- Principles of drug addiction treatment: A research-based guide. 3rd ed. National Institute on Drug Abuse. http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/principles-drug-addiction-treatment-research-based-guide-third-edition/evidence-based-approaches-to-drug-addiction-treatment. Accessed Feb. 6, 2014.
- Understanding hospitalization for mental health. Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance. http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/PageServer?pagename=education_brochures_understanding_hospitalization. Accessed Feb. 6, 2014.
- Salgado MF, et al. Family history of serious mental illness in bipolar I and bipolar II patients of the Mayo Bipolar Biobank. Biological Psychiatry. 2012;71:153S.
- Psychiatric hospitalization. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=About_Treatments_and_Supports&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=150789. Accessed Feb. 6, 2014.
- Mental health professionals: Who they are and how to find one. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www.nami.org/Content/ContentGroups/Helpline1/Mental_Health_Professionals_Who_They_Are_and_How_to_Find_One.htm. Accessed Feb. 6, 2014.
- Rackley S, et al. Depression in medically ill patients. Psychiatric Clinics of North America. 2012;35:231.
- Depression. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/depression/index.shtml. Accessed Feb. 6, 2014.
- Sadock BJ, et al. Kaplan & Sadock's Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry. 9th ed. Philadephia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2009. http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&CSC=Y&NEWS=N&PAGE=booktext&D=books2&AN=01412563/9th_Edition/5&XPATH=/OVIDBOOK%5b1%5d/METADATA%5b1%5d/TBY%5b1%5d/EDITORS%5b1%5d. Accessed Feb. 6, 2014.
- Li X, et al. Review of pharmacological treatment in mood disorders and future directions for drug development. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2012;37:77.
- McDowell AK, et al. Practical suicide-risk management for the busy primary care physician. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2011;86:792.
- Chamberlain AM, et al. Associations of preexisting depression and anxiety with hospitalization in patients with cardiovascular disease. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2011;86:1056.
- DSM-5 table of contents. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Feb. 5, 2014.
- Understanding suicide: Fact sheet 2012. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pub/suicide_factsheet.html. Accessed Feb. 6, 2014.
- What is mental illness: Mental illness facts. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www.nami.org/template.cfm?section=about_mental_illness. Accessed Feb. 6, 2014.
- Schreiber J, et al. Suicidal ideation and behavior in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 6, 2014.
- Highlights of changes from DSM-IV-TR to DSM-5. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.psychiatry.org/dsm5. Accessed Feb. 5, 2014.
- DSM-5 classification. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Feb. 8, 2014.
- Kung S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 12, 2014.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 20, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.