Endometriosis is a common and often painful disorder in which tissue that normally lines the inside of your uterus grows outside your uterus.
Uterine fibroids are noncancerous tumors of the uterus. Medical therapy and surgical procedures can shrink or remove uterine fibroids.
Uterine polyps may cause signs such as heavy, irregular menstrual bleeding or vaginal bleeding after menopause. Find out how uterine polyps are diagnosed and treated.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
How well do you know your menstrual cycle? Follow these tips to track your menstrual cycle and identify problems.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
Getting a Pap smear regularly is your best defense against cervical cancer. Understand how a Pap smear is done and what abnormal test results mean.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Treatments and drugs
Dilation and curettage (D&C) — Overview covers risks, results of this uterine procedure.
Endometrial ablation — Overview covers definition, risks, results of this procedure to treat uterine conditions.
Mirena (hormonal IUD) — Overview covers definition, risks, instructions for using this type of contraception.
Jun. 25, 2011
- Lobo RA. Abnormal uterine bleeding: Ovulatory and anovulatory dysfunctional uterine bleeding, management of acute and chronic excessive bleeding. In: Katz VL, et al. Comprehensive Gynecology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1524/0.html. Accessed May 7, 2011.
- Brar MK, et al. Dysfunctional uterine bleeding. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed May 7, 2011.
- Goodman A, et al. Terminology and evaluation of abnormal uterine bleeding in premenopausal women. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed May 7, 2011.
- Zacur HA. Chronic menorrhagia or anovulatory uterine bleeding. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed May 7, 2011.
- Abnormal uterine bleeding. The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp095.cfm. Accessed May 7, 2011.
- Menstruation. The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp049.cfm. Accessed May 7, 2011.
- The Pap test. The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp085.cfm. Accessed May 7, 2011.
- Dysmenorrhea. The Merck Manuals: Home Edition for Patients and Caregivers. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/au/sec22/ch244/ch244c.html. Accessed May 7, 2011.
- Gallenberg MM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 9, 2011.