Menorrhagia is most often due to a hormone imbalance that causes menstrual cycles without ovulation. In a normal cycle, the release of an egg from the ovaries stimulates the body's production of progesterone, the female hormone most responsible for keeping periods regular. When no egg is released, insufficient progesterone can cause heavy menstrual bleeding.
Menstrual cycles without ovulation (anovulatory cycles) are most common among two separate age groups:
July 02, 2014
- Adolescent girls who have recently started menstruating. Girls are especially prone to anovulatory cycles in the first year after their first menstrual period (menarche).
- Older women approaching menopause. Women ages 40 to 50 are at increased risk of hormonal changes that lead to anovulatory cycles.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 6, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 6, 2014.
- Bano R, et al. Heavy menstrual bleeding. Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine. 2013;24:1.
- Pizzorno JE, et al. Textbook of Natural Medicine. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 6, 2014.
- Adams JG. Emergency Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 6, 2014.
- Zacur HA. Chronic menorrhagia or anovulatory uterine bleeding. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 6, 2014.
- Laughlin-Tommaso SK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 15, 2014.
- Hesley GK, et al. MR-Guided focused ultrasound for the treatment of uterine fibroids. CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology. 2013;36:5.
- De Silva NK. Abnormal uterine bleeding in adolescents: Definition and evaluation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 13, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.