Concerned about menopause weight gain? Take control of your weight with healthy lifestyle choices - starting today!
Lifestyle and home remedies
Are you annoyed by your expanding waistline? Here's why belly fat is so common in women — and what you can do about it.
Want to prevent weight gain and promote good health as you get older? Follow these fitness tips for menopause.
Quitting smoking is hard, no question. Use these tried-and-true strategies to help you quit, and refer back to them as often as needed.
Although the absence of menstruation (amenorrhea) is seldom serious, the condition can often be linked to an underlying problem requiring treatment.
Extreme temperatures — hot or cold — can take a toll on your skin. Here's how to pamper and protect it.
Vaginal dryness is a common and uncomfortable condition — but there are effective ways to treat it.
Treatments and drugs
Women used to take hormone therapy to prevent heart disease. But now this therapy may increase heart problems in some women. Learn how to minimize your risks.
Jan. 07, 2015
- Menopause. National Institute on Aging. http://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/menopause. Accessed May 22, 2014.
- Lethaby A, et al. Phytoestrogens for menopausal vasomotor symptoms. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD001395.pub4/abstract. Accessed May 23, 2014.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed May 27, 2014.
- Nelson LM, et al. Clinical manifestation and evaluation of spontaneous primary ovarian insufficiency (premature ovarian failure). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 22, 2014.
- Menopausal symptoms and complementary health practices. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/menopause/menopausesymptoms. Accessed May 22, 2014.
- Lindh-Astrand L, et al. Effects of applied relaxation on vasomotor symptoms in postmenopausal women: A randomized controlled trial. Menopause. 2012;20:1.
- Colpani V, et al. Association between habitual physical activity and lower cardiovascular risk in premenopausal, perimenopausal, and postmenopausal women: A population-based study. Menopause. 2012;20:1.
- Rada G, et al. Non-hormonal interventions for hot flushes in women with a history of breast cancer. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD004923.pub2/abstract. Accessed May 23, 2014.
- Daley A, et al. Exercise for vasomotor menopausal symptoms. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD006108.pub3/abstract. Accessed May 23, 2014.
- For better sex: 3 ways to strengthen your pelvic floor. The Northern American Menopause Society. http://www.menopause.org/for-women/menopauseflashes/for-better-sex-3-ways-to-strengthen-your-pelvic-floor. Accessed May 22, 2014.
- The North American Menopause Society. The 2012 hormone therapy position statement of The North American Menopause Society. Menopause. 2012;19:257.
- MenoNote: Vaginal dryness. The North American Menopause Society. http://www.menopause.org/docs/for-women/mndryness.pdf. Accessed May 22, 2014.
- Welt CK, et al. Pathogenesis and causes of spontaneous primary ovarian insufficiency (premature ovarian failure). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 22, 2014.
- Welt CK, et al. Ovarian development and failure (menopause) in normal women. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 22, 2014.
- Menopausal hormone therapy (MHT). Office on Women's Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.womenshealth.gov/menopause/symptom-relief-treatment/menopausal-hormone-therapy.html. Accessed May 23, 2014.
- Menopause and menopause treatments fact sheet. Office on Women's Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publication/fact-sheet/menopause-treatment.html. Accessed May 23, 2014.
- Committee on Gynecological Practice and the American Society for Reproductive Medicine Practice Committee. Compounded bioidentical menopausal hormone therapy. ACOG. http://www.acog.org/Resources_And_Publications/Committee_Opinions/Committee_on_Gynecologic_Practice/Compounded_Bioidentical_Menopausal_Hormone_Therapy. Accessed May 22, 2014.
- Tella SR, et al. Prevention and treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. 2014;142:155.
- Eden JA. Phytoestrogens for menopausal symptoms: A review. Maturitas. 2012;72:157.
- Dodin S, et al. Acupuncture for menopausal hot flushes. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007410.pub2/abstract. Accessed May 23, 2014.