Find out how acupuncture works, who should avoid it and what conditions it can treat.
Concerned about menopause weight gain? Take control of your weight with healthy lifestyle choices - starting today!
Lifestyle and home remedies
Are you annoyed by your expanding waistline? Here's why belly fat is so common in women — and what you can do about it.
Diabetes and menopause may team up for varied effects on your body. Here's what to expect — and how to stay in control.
Want to prevent weight gain and promote good health as you get older? Follow these fitness tips for menopause.
Know what lifestyle changes you can make to find relief from menopause symptoms.
Quitting smoking is hard, no question. Use these tried-and-true strategies to help you quit, and refer back to them as often as needed.
Although the absence of menstruation (amenorrhea) is seldom serious, the condition can often be linked to an underlying problem requiring treatment.
Vaginal dryness is a common and uncomfortable condition — but there are effective ways to treat it.
Treatments and drugs
Jan. 24, 2013
- Menopause. National Institute on Aging. http://www.nia.nih.gov/HealthInformation/Publications/menopause.htm. Accessed Dec. 7, 2012.
- Innes KE, et al. Mind-body therapies for menopausal symptoms: A systematic review. Maturitas. 2010;66:135.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Dec. 6, 2012.
- Nelson LM, et al. Clinical manifestation and evaluation of spontaneous primary ovarian insufficiency (premature ovarian failure). http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Jan. 1, 2013.
- Menopausal symptoms and complementary health practices. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/menopause/menopausesymptoms#hed2/. Accessed Dec. 7, 2012.
- Lindh-Astrand L, et al. Effects of applied relaxation on vasomotor symptoms in postmenopausal women: A randomized controlled trial. Menopause. 2012;20:1.
- Colpani V, et al. Association between habitual physical activity and lower cardiovascular risk in premenopausal, perimenopausal, and postmenopausal women: A population-based study. Menopause. 2012;20:1.
- Warnecke E. What works? Evidence for lifestyle and nonprescription therapies in menopause. Australian Family Physician. 2011;40:286.
- Kelley KW, et al. Evaluating the evidence for over-the-counter alternatives for relief of hot flashes in menopausal women. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association. 2010;50:e106.
- For better sex: 3 ways to strengthen your pelvic floor. The Northern American Menopause Society. http://www.menopause.org/for-women/menopauseflashes/for-better-sex-3-ways-to-strengthen-your-pelvic-floor. Accessed Dec. 7, 2012.
- The North American Menopause Society. The 2012 hormone therapy position statement of The North American Menopause Society. Menopause. 2012;19:257.
- MenoNote: Vaginal dryness. The North American Menopause Society. http://www.menopause.org/publications/educational-materials-for-women/menonotes. Accessed Oct. 31, 2012.
- Welt CK, et al. Pathogenesis and causes of spontaneous primary ovarian insufficiency (premature ovarian failure). http://www.uptodate.com/ index. Accessed Jan. 1, 2013.
- Welt CK, et al. Ovarian development and failure (menopause) in normal women. http://www.uptodate.com/ index. Accessed Jan. 1, 2013.
- Marnach ML (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 7, 2013.
- Faubion SS (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 11, 2013.
- Dickson GM. Menopause management: How you can do better. The Journal of Family Practice. 2012;61:138.
- Committee on Gynecological Practice and the American Society for Reproductive Medicine Practice Committee. Compounded bioidentical menopausal hormone therapy. ACOG. http://www.acog.org/Resources_And_Publications/Committee_Opinions/Committee_on_Gynecologic_Practice/Compounded_Bioidentical_Menopausal_Hormone_Therapy. Accessed Jan. 11, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.