It isn't clear what causes a meningioma. Doctors know that something alters some cells in your meninges — the membranes that form a protective barrier around your brain and spinal cord — to make them multiply out of control, leading to a meningioma tumor. But whether this occurs because of genes you inherit, things you're exposed to in your environment, hormones or a combination of these factors remains unknown.
May 02, 2014
- Ellison D, et al. Neuropathology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Limited. 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- Meningiomas. American Association of Neurological Surgeons. http://www.aans.org/Patient%20Information/Conditions%20and%20Treatments/Meningiomas.aspx. Accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- Park JK, et al. Meningioma: Clinical presentation and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- Pinto PS, et al. Magnetic resonance imaging features of meningioma in children and young adults: A retrospective analysis. Journal of Neuroradiology. 2012;39:218.
- Park JK, et al. Meningioma: Epidemiology, risk factors and pathology. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- Meningioma. American Brain Tumor Association. http://www.abta.org/understanding-brain-tumors/types-of-tumors/meningioma.html. Accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- Ding D, et al. The role of radiosurgery in the management of WHO grade II and III intracranial meningiomas. Neurosurgery Focus. 2013;35:E16.
- Park JK, et al. Treatment of benign (WHO grade I) meningioma. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- Chronic pain and CAM: At a glance. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/pain/chronic.htm. Accessed Dec. 5, 2013.
- Uhm JH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 7, 2014.