ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
The unpredictable episodes of vertigo and the prospect of permanent hearing loss can be the most difficult problems of Meniere's disease. The disease can interrupt your life and cause fatigue, emotional stress, depression and anxiety.
Vertigo can cause you to lose balance, increasing your risk of falls and accidents while driving or operating heavy machinery.
Nov. 26, 2015
- Dinces EA, et al. Meniere disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 3, 2015.
- Meniere's disease. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/content/menieres-disease. Accessed Oct. 3, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Recurrent vertigo. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Foster CA. Optimal management of Meniere's disease. Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management. 2015;11:301.
- Meniere's disease. Vestibular Disorders Association. http://vestibular.org/menieres-disease. Accessed Oct. 3, 2015.
- Neff BA, et al. Auditory and vestibular symptoms and chronic subjective dizziness in patients with Meniere's disease, vestibular migraine, and Meniere's disease with concomitant vestibular migraine. Otology & Neurotology. 2012;33:1235.
- Bisdorff AR, et al. Overview of the international classification of vestibular disorders. Neurological Clinics. 2015;33:514.
- Furman JM, et al. Evaluation of the patient with vertigo. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 5, 2015.
- Ferrarro JA, et al. Electrocochleography in the evaluation of patients with Maniere's disease/endolymphatic hydrops. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology. 2006;17:45.